College Application Process
College Application Process at PHS
- In your Senior Meeting at the beginning of the year, you will fill out your Activity Sheet – be sure to complete this and hand it in.
- Meet with your counselor to discuss college/career plans and to begin the college application process.
- Hand Out Teacher Recommendation Forms
- Teacher Recommendation Forms can be obtained in the guidance office from Mrs. Schudde or from your counselor. You can also ask teachers to download the form . You will need to choose three teachers to complete this reference form.
- Fully complete Applications for each school in which you are planning to apply
- Be sure that you obtain the applications from each college. Also remember that some schools offer online applications which is a more efficient way of submitting applications. If you plan to apply online, please make your counselor aware of this. Be aware that some SUNY schools participate in something called a common application, which allows you to apply to many different SUNY schools by filing out one application. This is an easier way to approach the application process.
- Also be sure to write any essays that are required by the school you are applying to. Some schools do not require an essay, while others ask you to write an essay on a specific topic. Be sure to have any required essays proofread (by yourself, an English teacher, or even your counselor) prior to submitting it as part of your application. Visit the essay writing resources page .
- You may also want to include a resume with your application. The resume is another document that speaks to your abilities and accomplishments as a high school student. Download the resume writing tutorial for more information.
- You can also refer to English teachers and counselors if you need pointers or someone to proofread your work.
Once you have done your part… the Counseling (Guidance) Department will….
- Update the transcript
- Attach Teacher Recommendations
- Check the Application
- Complete the School Counselor Section
- Verify Date of Submission