A cover letter is a document you send in with a job application and a resume to “highlights your key accomplishments and fit for a job opening. A cover letter adds focus to your resume” (Hansen, 2008). Because a cover letter often fills in the gaps of a resume and states the intentions of the applicant, it can often be viewed as a staple when applying for a job. In other words, you should write one whether the employer specifically asks for a cover letter or not. Below are some great websites to help you write a cover letter, and great sites that offer tips on how to write a quality cover letter.
Cover Letter Sample Sites:
- Sample cover letter template: http://jobstar.org/tools/resume/ctemp.php
Tips and Help Writing Cover Letters:
- Tips for cover letter writing: http://www.cvtips.com/job_application_cover_letter.html
- More cover letter writing tips- Article: “What is a cover letter — and why is it important?” by: Randall S. Hansen http://www.quintcareers.com/career_doctor_cures/cover_letter.html
- Cover Letter Do’s and Don’ts” by: Randall and Katharine Hansen
- “The Dynamic Cover Letters Formula for Job-Search Success” by: Katharine and Randall Hansen. http://www.quintcareers.com/cover_letters.html
Hansen, R. (2008). The Career Doctor’s Cures & Remedies: What is a cover letter — and why is it important? Retrieved September 21, 2008, from Quintessential Careers Web site: http://www.quintcareers.com/career_doctor_cures/cover_letter.html .